POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Rift! : Re: Rift! Server Time
8 Jul 2024 08:25:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rift!
From: scott
Date: 10 Sep 2015 03:10:50
Message: <55f12cfa$1@news.povray.org>
>> But there are two big downsides IMHO. First and most importantly the
>> image resolution is absolutely atrocious. I'm only used to 1680x1050
>> monitors at home, but this is like going back to 320x240 days. I know
>> they're using a 1920x1080 panel under the hood, but this is shared
>> between two eyes and it's not used all the way to the edges.
>
> I don't really understand how 1920x1080 (or even 960x1080) can look
> like 320x240. That would be like 20% of the vertical resolution.

Imagine taking a 960x1080 half of your monitor, then scaling it up (in X
and Y) so that it stretches 3 metres tall and 3 metres wide. Now sit
about a metre from it. That is exactly what it feels like in the Rift.
If you then imagine a "monitor sized" section in the centre of your
field of view (that you'll spend 99% of the time looking at) the
resolution is a fraction of the total, and yes the pixels do probably
appear 5x bigger than what you're used to on a monitor.