POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Semantics? : Re: Semantics? Server Time
5 Jul 2024 07:51:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Semantics?
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 1 Sep 2015 07:38:34
Message: <55e58e3a$1@news.povray.org>
On 1-9-2015 11:32, Ger wrote:
> Thomas de Groot wrote:
>
>> Coming up often and just noted that again in Ger's answer in the thread
>> above.
>>
>> What is the meaning of percentages higher than 100? I don't get it.
>>
>> If my bottle of wine is considered 100% full, what would be 200%? Two
>> bottles of wine? :-)
>>

> The answer is pretty simple.
> If 1 (one) core is working on povray that would be 100% load. If 2 cores are
> working on povray that would be 2 x 100%. So, in my case that would be 8
> cores, each working at (or close to) 100%, so 800%.
> The percentage load is taken from the "1 core" or "1 proc" view.

OK. I missed the 8 cores obviously. it makes sense, but

Still, I feel uncomfortable with the notion itself and would rather
think that povray is rendering at 100%, divided over 8 cores... each
working at 100%... for me, that does not add up to 800%, only to faster
rendering, which is why I guess this is a semantic question.

--
Thomas