POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux guru question : Re: Linux guru question Server Time
5 Jul 2024 08:57:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux guru question
From: Ger
Date: 31 Aug 2015 21:49:40
Message: <55e50434$1@news.povray.org>
Anthony D. Baye wrote:

> In linux the default priority for any given user-initiated process is 0.
> Which
> means that when I run povray, its cpu priority is dead last.  I've gotten
> in the habit of running sudo top alongside so that I can renice the process
> to -20, but
> this only affects the main thread as far as I can tell.  All child threads
> have a priority of 0.
>
> Is there a way to configure linux so that povray and all of its child
> threads are given top priority?
>
> Regards,
> A.D.B.

I've never had to change the nice-ness of any povray run. When the machine is
just running povray it runs at 800% (or very close to it). When I do
something else (like start FF) then that program will get some attention from
some cores but those return to povray as soon as the new program is on
screen.
I'm running Povray on AMD FX-8 (8 cores) with 16GB.
--

Ger