POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Since the Invisible Orchid has not asked any questions for a while. : Re: Since the Invisible Orchid has not asked any questions for awhile. Server Time
5 Jul 2024 07:11:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Since the Invisible Orchid has not asked any questions for awhile.
From: clipka
Date: 25 Aug 2015 02:08:27
Message: <55dc065b@news.povray.org>
Am 24.08.2015 um 18:55 schrieb Stephen:
> Ah! ha!
> You did not spot my deliberate mistake. <blush>
>
>>> accelerating at a constant 1 g.
>
> Cannot be done. :-(
> I forgot that as your speed increases your mass increases. So when you
> reach 0.9c your mass is 2.29 * your rest mass and the force needed to
> accelerate you increases as well.
> 0.99c > 7*m
> 0.999c > 22*m
> 0.9999c > 70 *m

That certainly depends on whether you look at it from the perspective of
an outside observer (who will notice your acceleration decreasing, which
to him is actually the reason why you'll never seem to reach the speed
of light), or that of the traveler. To the latter, his mass remains
constant, and acceleration at a constant 1g is perfectly possible.

When taking on the perspective of the traveler, newtonian mechanics give
perfectly good answers, no matter what aspect you're looking at. (Unless
you're looking out the window.)

> http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relativ/tdil.html
>
> But your approximations are good enough for me. So you passed the crew
> test.
> Now I have to invent a reactionless drive using the vacuum energy.
> Shouldn't take that long, I would think.

Nasa has already conducted first tests of such drives, with promising
results (to their own surprise). I kid you not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_vacuum_thruster
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RF_resonant_cavity_thruster