POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : C/C++ Data Type Ambiguity Backwards : Re: C/C++ Data Type Ambiguity Backwards Server Time
8 Jul 2024 07:50:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: C/C++ Data Type Ambiguity Backwards
From: clipka
Date: 23 Aug 2015 15:08:30
Message: <55da1a2e$1@news.povray.org>
Am 23.08.2015 um 18:24 schrieb Le_Forgeron:

> and btw, signed integer value could, or not, be using the complement
> to 2 (or 1, or anything else).

Actually that would be 2's complement, 1's complement, or signed
magnitude. If your hardware would use any other format than that, you'd
need an abstraction layer to implement standard C.

I didn't know 9 bit machines actually existed, but yeah - just what I'm
saying. Imagine trying to get any decent performance out of your OS on
such a system if it was written in a language that mandated integer
types to be exactly 8, 16 or 32 bits in size.