POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : C/C++ Data Type Ambiguity Backwards : Re: C/C++ Data Type Ambiguity Backwards Server Time
5 Jul 2024 08:39:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: C/C++ Data Type Ambiguity Backwards
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 23 Aug 2015 04:54:50
Message: <55d98a5a$1@news.povray.org>
On 21/08/2015 01:12 PM, clipka wrote:
> Okay, I guess everyone who has ever touched C or C++ has at least heard
> rumors of this: The standard data types, such as "int", "short int" or
> "long int", are anything but.

If I'm remembering my history right, C was basically invented to write
Unix in. From the very beginning, it was a programming language
*specifically designed* for system programming.

You know, the kind of programming where knowing exactly how many bits
you're dealing with is 100% critical.

And yet, this is one of the few programming languages on Earth which
doesn't guarantee how many bits are in a particular data type, and
provides no way to specify what you actually want.

Does that seem weird to anybody else??