POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : screen.inc in 3.7 - strange differences in lighting! : Re: screen.inc in 3.7 - strange differences in lighting! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:19:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: screen.inc in 3.7 - strange differences in lighting!
From: clipka
Date: 22 Aug 2015 22:56:25
Message: <55d93659$1@news.povray.org>
Am 22.08.2015 um 11:45 schrieb "Jörg \"Yadgar\" Bleimann":
> Hi(gh)!
>
> On 22.08.2015 02:36, Mike Horvath wrote:
>
>> Is your gamma messed up? Make sure you are using "srgb" in color
>> declarations instead of "rgb".
>
> I tried assumed_gamma 1.6 (which in fact is my system gamma value),

Don't!

Any value other than assumed_gamma 1.0 screws with the internal colour
computations in an unrealistic manner (or, maybe technically more to the
point, fails to screw with the supplied colour values in a realistic
manner). I guess I mentioned that already on one occasion or two...

If you're not happy with the look of the scene, indeed use "srgb"
instead of "rgb" to combat washed-out colours, and tweak the lighting to
combat overly bright scenes (if that's still an issue then); also, you
may want to reduce some materials' "ambient" settings or reduce
"ambient_light" (or use radiosity instead, which is a better idea anyway).

As for your system gamma value, that should go into the "Display_Gamma"
setting of your master .ini file, and nowhere else.

> and
> now it looks much better - not as dark as the original version, but
> acceptable to me!

Congratulations - you just managed to hide some more fundamental flaw in
your scene, that might bite you again further down the road...

The fact that including "screen.inc" makes any difference indicates that
there's something wrong other than just a change in gamma handling
(which is just a symptom), because "screen.inc" has nothing to do with
gamma.

Have a close look at POV-Ray's log output. Does it happen to say
anything about the #version directive? If I'm guessing correctly about
what is happening, your scene fails to have any. (Also, I guess I happen
to know that you didn't include any standard include files before you
added "screen.inc").

As of POV-Ray 3.7, the #version directive is not only mandatory, but
/must/ be the /first/ non-comment statement in your scene to ensure
flawless operation. And you do get a warning about that (if you'd care
to read it ;)).