POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I give up rendering, part 3 : Re: I give up rendering, part 3 Server Time
8 Jul 2024 10:08:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I give up rendering, part 3
From: clipka
Date: 10 Aug 2015 15:48:06
Message: <55c8fff6$1@news.povray.org>
Am 10.08.2015 um 20:10 schrieb Orchid Win7 v1:
> There's something... off about the reflections. Like, as the camera
> angle changes, the reflections seem to change in an odd way.

I don't see what you mean.

> Also, shouldn't those flames cast far more light on their surroundings?

No - we have a rainy day, but a comparatively bright one at that; but
the candle flames should be far dimmer.

> Also (and I can't believe I noticed this)... You have a huge plush
> apartment, and yet you built a bedroom door that's only just barely wide
> enough to fit through??! :-P

I think that's a classic field-of-view illusion. Ever noticed how
first-person 3D games tend to give you unrealistically large
environments to play in? All to compensate for cramming a comparatively
wide virtual field of view (typically 90 degrees) into what's actually a
rather narrow physical field of view (maybe 30-45 degrees), which they
do to give you a better awareness of your surroundings, but which also
makes passages look much more narrow than they really are. So they
compensate by exaggerating the passages' size in relation to the size of
the player character.

In the demo video, they seem to have kept the right proportions, but the
virtual field of view is still much larger than the physical one, so
passages like doors /appear/ more narrow than they really are.