POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fractal screen : Re: Fractal screen Server Time
6 Oct 2024 06:05:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fractal screen
From: scott
Date: 10 Aug 2015 03:02:36
Message: <55c84c8c$1@news.povray.org>
> OK, so some people around here work with LCDs...
>
> We've got a laptop at work with a cracked screen. Around where the crack
> is, the pixels are all black. Which isn't surprising. Slightly more
> interesting is the red vertical lines that seem to extend vertically
> outwards from the cracks. Why red? Why every other pixel? Why vertical?
> I have no idea.

It's more than likely due to the column drivers malfunctioning. One
possible column driver scheme is to use only one DAC for each *pixel*
column (not sub-pixel) and then multiplex the output between RGB
subpixels. It saves by a factor of 3 the number of DACs needed and the
number of wires to/on the panel. What is likely happening is that when
each row is getting refreshed, the driver is reset as data is clocked
in, red is likely first and it gets screwed (because all the column
tracks are broken at the crack so the wrong capacitance and resistance
or possibly even shorted) and it never manages to switch the output to
the green and blue columns.

Another possibility, if the drivers are on the glass substrate itself,
or a bare IC bonded to the glass, is that they got damaged when the
crack was made.

> What's weirder still is that close to the cracks, the dead pixels
> exhibit a curiously fractal pattern. It looks like some kind of weird
> pixellated plant growth or something. Does anybody have any idea why?

The "growth" bit is because gradually moisture is getting in to the LC
material through the crack. They are normally completed sealed in, I'm
not a chemist but I know moisture+LC is bad and gives those patterns
even without a crack. Also does the pattern move when you press around
the crack? It's likely the cell-gap (distance between the inner two
faces of glass) has changed due to the crack, that normally needs to be
very accurately controlled to create a uniform image.