POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : OS as a Service : Re: OS as a Service Server Time
6 Oct 2024 06:19:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OS as a Service
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 7 Aug 2015 13:02:20
Message: <55c4e49c$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/08/2015 09:16 AM, scott wrote:
> You mean your search engine code can't automatically detect when a regex
> is entered in the box? :-D

In fact, we've just been wrestling with a bug where if you want to
actually search for text that has an actual star in it, the search
engine mistakes that for a wildcard... Honestly, trying to guess when
the user meant wildcard and then they actually meant star is *highly*
non-trivial.

> Google has made it very hard for everyone else doing search. People are
> used to just bashing in any words (not even spelt correctly) and getting
> matching results. If your search engine is any worse than Google people
> will complain it doesn't work, therefore people will complain it doesn't
> work.

The other fun thing, of course, is that Google has 75% of all the
computer hardware on Earth. They have almost unlimited computational
resources to throw at your search problem. WE DON'T HAVE THAT! :-(