POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : OS as a Service : Re: OS as a Service Server Time
6 Oct 2024 08:24:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OS as a Service
From: scott
Date: 7 Aug 2015 03:59:24
Message: <55c4655c$1@news.povray.org>
> I played Saints Row IV recently. Every single time you want to buy a
> weapon upgrade, you have to OK a confirmation. Which, when you're
> drowning under a sea of money and you want to buy every upgrade in the
> game... takes a while.

Yes this is exactly the problem in GT5. You buy (or win) a new car and
want to upgrade it with a load of stuff. It would be acceptable if it
took 5 seconds to open the "Garage" menu, but it also takes a few
seconds to open every category menu (brakes, engine etc) then a few
seconds to open each item, then you have to click the item, click Buy,
"do you want to apply to the car?", click yes. Then click back. Now
realise that each of those prompts takes a second to appear, and that's
just for one item, you want 20 items. It's ridiculous, don't they get
people to test this? Or are they just Japanese testers that are too
polite to complain about the speed of the menu system?

The other thing I could never understand is why it took so long to leave
the race and go back to the menu. I can understand loading the race
takes a while (it must load all the geometry and textures for an entire
race track and all the cars), but to go back to the menu, surely it's
only a couple of fonts and textures needed, it should be pretty
instantaneous.