POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : OS as a Service : Re: OS as a Service Server Time
6 Oct 2024 08:26:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OS as a Service
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 6 Aug 2015 13:09:24
Message: <55c394c4$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/08/2015 08:15 AM, scott wrote:
> The difficulty with software like MS Office it is used by a huge range
> of people with very different requirements. My mum wants to type a
> letter and struggles to change the line spacing to make it look right.
> My gf wants to make a form in Word with boxes for people to check and
> type in. I want a complex workbook in Excel with macros. Designing a UI
> that works well for all those people cannot be easy.

Where I work, we have this exact problem.

Half of our customers barely know how to operate a computer, and are
utterly baffled by our product. They just want a big black box with a
massive "find the file I need" button in the middle. (Because, you know,
software is telepathic.) And then the *other* half of our customers want
more and more sophisticated searching capabilities. People have asked
for stuff like regex searching and a search predicate builder wizard.

Wanna take guesses how a person who barely knows what a "file" is will
react to a "regular expression engine"?

The problem is trying to build a single product that does everything for
everybody. That is an extremely hard problem. It's almost impossible to
keep *everybody* happy...