POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : OS as a Service : Re: OS as a Service Server Time
6 Oct 2024 15:18:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OS as a Service
From: scott
Date: 5 Aug 2015 03:17:54
Message: <55c1b8a2$1@news.povray.org>
>> More realistically, MS would never take any decision that forced a
>> significant proportion of its user base to switch away from Windows.
>
> Except that with Windows 10, they may well have done that, what with the
> privacy issues that are starting to surface.

MS know that it's only a very small proportion of people who will worry
about that. I'm on several gaming forums and there are plenty of threads
about upgrading to Win10, privacy issues simply don't come up in the
discussions, and this is fairly tech savvy people who are upgrading,
rather than just buying a new PC from a shop. It's all about frame rates
(which actually seem much better in Win10 for some reason), hardware
compatibility and how to turn off the automatic updates (particularly
the automatic restarts).

> The problem is that there's no other platform that's as widely used, so
> most people will probably just accept those problems.

Indeed, MS would have to do something *really* wrong to get a
significant proportion of people to leave Windows.