POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : OS as a Service : Re: OS as a Service Server Time
6 Oct 2024 15:20:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OS as a Service
From: Stephen
Date: 4 Aug 2015 16:25:14
Message: <55c11faa$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/4/2015 5:34 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Aug 2015 07:51:05 +0100, Stephen wrote:
>

>> I spent a whole five minuets thinking about this. And have come to the
>> conclusion that I have turned into the older generation, already.
>
> LOL

You think that is funny?
Wait a couple of years and you will start to sound like your dad or his
mates. ;-)

>> Physically Apple products beat everything else hands down. IMO
>> Interfaces, they are not intuitive to me, too much thought has gone into
>> them and I feel that they are over engineered. But then when technology
>> morphs into consumer products. Something has to change to let the little
>> darlings use it without straining their capabilities.
>> So I will sit back, keep my gob shut, if I can, and wait for the sky to
>> fall.
>
> Well, think about the original iPod interface as an example.  One button,
> one dial, intuitive to use.

That was a mp3 player, wasn't it?
Ah dinnae ken, then.

> My mother learned how to use it, and she's
> not the most technical person in the world (she would be the first to say
> it). :)

I married your mother?
My wife is a devote of King Ludd. :-)

But that is my point. Apple is very good for people that just want to
use it for what it does. I find it is a pain the the butt as it works
differently from PCs.

BTW do you know how I can downgrade her iPad 2. I updated it a couple of
months ago and she does not like the way it behaves. (It is an iPad 2
and had not been upgraded since I bought it for her, when it came out.

> Properly designed technology is a joy to use.  The problem is that most
> user interaction is not designed by people trained in UX design - it's
> designed by developers who have had to run with the "design" mantle as
> part of the job.

No argument with that. But it is not what I am used to.

> When you build a building, you don't just start putting steel and
> concrete together - you start with a blueprint, and that blueprint
> defines a lot about what the final product looks like.  There are design
> elements that cover the infrastructure used, certainly - and those are
> designed by competent designers of those infrastructure components.

And here is me thinking that you start with the clients requirements.

> But the exterior isn't designed by the person who also designed the
> electrical system or the plumbing system.
>
> Modern software UIs are typically designed by the electrician - which
> means that the light switches and outlets are all really well placed, but
> the things the user cares about are often not where the user would
> intuitively look.
>
> That's not the fault of the proverbial electrician - it's a management
> issue.

Fee fi fo fum. I smell the blood of someone who believes what he is saying.

It is more complex than that. IMO

--

Regards
     Stephen