POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Friday afternoon project: a real time ray tracer in your browser : Re: Friday afternoon project: a real time ray tracer in your browser Server Time
6 Oct 2024 05:35:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Friday afternoon project: a real time ray tracer in your browser
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 4 Aug 2015 13:00:38
Message: <55c0efb6@news.povray.org>
On 04/08/2015 09:55 AM, scott wrote:
>>> I wonder how long before GPU gets a hardware-based randomness source?
>>> (It can't be that hard to sample a little thermal noise in hardware,
>>
>> Well, GPUs should at least be able to provide plenty thermal for the
>> noise ;)
>
> Yes :-) It's not hard to sample the thermal noise, the problem is how to
> sample it billions of times per second with enough resolution to be useful.

Well, no, you typically sample it a few times a second and use that to
seed a normal PRNG.

In other news, Intel added an op-code to generate truly-random numbers
using exactly this technique. The Linux kernel team added it to
/dev/random... and then took it out again, because they were apparently
concerned that the NSA would modify the die of your CPU to make the
random numbers non-random. (!!)

Jesus, that's next-level. Surely if you don't trust the hardware your OS
is running on, it's already game over. (?)