POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : OS as a Service : Re: OS as a Service Server Time
6 Oct 2024 13:20:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OS as a Service
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 3 Aug 2015 14:46:54
Message: <55bfb71e$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 03 Aug 2015 19:46:08 +0200, clipka wrote:

>>> This thread started about Microsoft, didn't it?
>>>
>>> You're certainly looking in the wrong direction there. Just look at
>>> Office 2010, and the loads of UI analysis and research went into it.
>>> Or Microsoft's primary programming language and environment, Visual
>>> Studio and C#, which in my book is as close as anyone has ever gotten
>>> to a programmer's dream.
>>
>> I'm talking about interaction design, not design done by developers.
>
> And that's what I'm talking about as well, especially with regards to
> Office 2010. (With VS and C# it's a bit blurry, as its users /are/
> developers after all; still, the users are not the developers of the
> piece of software we're discussing. So when I call it a programmer's
> dream, in this sense it's a user's dream, not a developer's dream.)
>
> Unless I'm utterly misunderstanding what you mean by "interaction
> design".

Interaction design = design that implements features that facilitate
useful user interaction, rather than features that are focused on "we
implemented this feature, and here's an interface to use it".

For example, if you have an application that protects web resources, the
interface needs to facilitate protecting web resources - it should not
focus on configuring individual objects that are used to protect those
resources, and leave it to the user to figure out how they are related to
each other.

Tie idea is that there needs to be some elegance and simplicity in the
design.  *Most* software "design" is done during development, rather than
preceding it, and so the form follows the interface rather than designing
how the interface workflow should work, and then using that as
scaffolding for the underlying code that takes care of the details.

Jim