POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : OS as a Service : Re: OS as a Service Server Time
6 Oct 2024 13:16:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OS as a Service
From: clipka
Date: 3 Aug 2015 14:02:30
Message: <55bfacb6$1@news.povray.org>
Am 03.08.2015 um 17:54 schrieb Le_Forgeron:

> Le 03/08/2015 09:10, clipka a écrit :
>> Office 2010, and the loads of UI analysis and research went into
>> it.
>
> When you are used to WinWord since 1995, Office 2010 is a PITA for
> usual edition:

... and that tradition of poorly (if at all) designed UI is exactly what
the developers of Office 2010 wanted to do away with.

I don't like working with Office 2010 myself, for exactly the same
reason; still, you can't argue with two fact: (1) Microsoft put a hell
lot of effort into analyzing user expectation and interaction during the
design of the Office 2010 interface; and (2) for people /not/ accustomed
to the - let's be honest - horrible user interface of prior versions of
MS Office, the Office 2010 user interface is probably quite a good one.

> The docx format is painful also: being a zipped xml, but without
> internal management of versions, it is hardly compatible with any DCMS
> (well, unless each version/commit become a blob by itself, with the
> associated problems of disk space and bandwidth).

As if the prior binary file formats were any better for version
management...

Also, it would be much easier in terms of version management if DCMS had
learned to deal with zipped files already. It's a pretty standard way of
keeping files (or sets thereof) small, so why the Bloops haven't DCMS
learned to unpack them long ago?

In my book, that's poor design of DCMS rather than the Office file
format. As a matter of fact, if it wasn't for the zipping I guess the
DOCX file format would make for a pretty easy format to version manage.