POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : OS as a Service : Re: OS as a Service Server Time
8 Jul 2024 08:50:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OS as a Service
From: Stephen
Date: 31 Jul 2015 10:27:32
Message: <55bb85d4$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/31/2015 2:49 PM, scott wrote:

> I don't know what you mean by "it" -

Information Technology, young man.

> here we use remote desktop pretty
> much daily to work on machines in the labs (mainly because we are lazy
> and don't want to get up). Once you make it full screen it's easy to
> forget you're actually in remote desktop rather than your native OS.
>
> However I've used it from home a few times and it's more obvious you're
> on remote desktop, window dragging is not as smooth, updates are
> noticeably slower. Hence my comment that once internet speeds are fast
> enough I see those issues going away for RD.

I think that you are in a privileged position. You work in the
automotive industry and in R&D. When I was working at Mercedes the IT
systems were top notch. Really good, you wouldn't know that you were
working remotely. Unfortunately most of the companies and sites I've
been at that is not the case. One site I worked at we called the system
Godot as we were always waiting for it. ;-)
The number of times I have forgotten what I was going to do by the time
the machine had drawn the screen are legend. Not all the time of course
but enough to raise raise your frustration levels to boiling point.

> But from the other angle you have things like Office and Google Docs
> that work in a browser, and using those even on relatively slow
> connections seem fine. So maybe Windows SaaS could be no more than a
> "start page" in a browser used to launch other web-based apps? Who
> knows, there are many possibilities.

I wish I lived in your world. :)

--

Regards