POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : OS as a Service : Re: OS as a Service Server Time
8 Jul 2024 08:08:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OS as a Service
From: scott
Date: 31 Jul 2015 09:49:48
Message: <55bb7cfc$1@news.povray.org>
>>> Have you ever worked on a thin client?
>>> I'd rather use a Teletype as a dumb terminal.
>>>
>>> ;)
>>
>> You need a fatter client and/or a fatter pipe then :-)
>>

> On my last contract, even the local IT manager hated it.

I don't know what you mean by "it" - here we use remote desktop pretty
much daily to work on machines in the labs (mainly because we are lazy
and don't want to get up). Once you make it full screen it's easy to
forget you're actually in remote desktop rather than your native OS.

However I've used it from home a few times and it's more obvious you're
on remote desktop, window dragging is not as smooth, updates are
noticeably slower. Hence my comment that once internet speeds are fast
enough I see those issues going away for RD.

But from the other angle you have things like Office and Google Docs
that work in a browser, and using those even on relatively slow
connections seem fine. So maybe Windows SaaS could be no more than a
"start page" in a browser used to launch other web-based apps? Who
knows, there are many possibilities.