POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : OS as a Service : Re: OS as a Service Server Time
8 Jul 2024 07:46:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OS as a Service
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 31 Jul 2015 01:48:42
Message: <55bb0c3a$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/30/2015 9:48 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> If you'd asked me 10 years ago what I thought of SaaS, I'd have said that
> I thought it was a scam.  Now that I've seen it up close in a company
> that sells with that model, and have had the growth trajectory explained
> by financial people who understand it *and* who understand how to explain
> it, I see the benefits, both to the company and to the customer and end
> user.
>
> A loyal customer for a software company isn't a customer who buys once
> and never comes back - even if they never change products.  A loyal
> customer is a customer who continues to fund further development so the
> developers can continue to improve the product for the benefit of the
> customer.
>
> Jim

However... With respect, I already pay like $30-40 a month for access to
certain online games. To suggest that I have to pay for the OS they run
on as well, and a similar amount.. is, to me, a huge fuck you to me, and
anyone either unwilling, or unable, to keep paying for such a thing.
So.. No, I can see a "service", or even some "software", being paid for
this way, though I despise the idea for something I need only rarely,
but... to pay for an OS in such a manner is tantamount to making someone
rent the car, then the tires, then the gas in the tank, then have a
special license to drive on your own street, another to drive in the
city, and yet another to drive highways, and on, and on, and on.

It may be a wet dream, to the assholes doing it, but, its precisely the
reason everyone is against the attempts to kill net neutrality, among
other one sided, highway robbery, style attempts to make every single
fart cost you money, before you even **get** to the actual feature you
are trying to use in the first place.

So, no... its still a scam, when used to bludgeon people into paying for
things they need, but can't otherwise get. And, if Microsoft thinks this
is a sensible method... then maybe someone should ask them why, then,
they "sell" the xbox, instead of just renting it, for one example.... It
amounts to the same thing.

--
Commander Vimes: "You take a bunch of people who don't seem any
different from you and me, but when you add them all together you get