POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Friday afternoon project: a real time ray tracer in your browser : Re: Friday afternoon project: a real time ray tracer in your browser Server Time
8 Jul 2024 08:40:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Friday afternoon project: a real time ray tracer in your browser
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 24 Jul 2015 13:00:11
Message: <55b26f1b$1@news.povray.org>
On 24/07/2015 04:05 PM, scott wrote:
> An unbiased* global illumination ray tracer running in your web browser,
> with a max_trace_depth of 8 and support for shiny, diffuse, transparent
> and checkered spheres. What more do you want!

Damn, that sounds nice...

> Disclaimer: It works on my machine (Chrome, Win7, nVidia GTX970) but
> I've not tested it on any other machine.

Ah well. I just get a JavaScript alert telling me that it can't
initialise shader1, then a couple that say "null", and then a message
that it can't initialise shader2.

Ironically, I have a nearly identical setup: Opera (so, the Chrome
rendering engine), Windows 7, and an nVidia 600-series GPU.

> * One of the hardest bits is to get a random number generator running on
> the GPU that is random enough to not show any patterns after a while.
> There is still some subtle non-randomness visible, but it's way better
> than it was originally. That's why there's random bits of code like
> rng.x = sin(r1 - FrameNumber) in there. It seems to do the job.

Ah yes - it's not like you can just run the Mersenne Twister on a GPU... ;-)