POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It's tornado season : Re: It's tornado season Server Time
6 Oct 2024 08:24:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It's tornado season
From: Stephen
Date: 16 Jul 2015 04:43:40
Message: <55a76ebc$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/15/2015 8:36 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:

 > LOL, it is a shame you weren't able to come up to visit when you were out
 > here.  Yeah, distance in the US is like time in the EU/UK.

I could not believe it would be so difficult nor so time consuming to
travel to a State Capital. Then again I have probably been over
influenced by Hollywood and the pace of technology.

 > I've got a friend planning to drive from Minneapolis to Seattle in
 > September - his first real vacation in years.  That drive is
 > (comparatively) short, a mere 1,600 miles.   He's figuring two days
 > each direction.

I quite envy him his trip. I like long distance driving. I also liked
driving in rural America. It is relaxing. The drive from Miami to Key
West felt historic and I've driven on part of Route 66.

I tell you, though (<-- Just for me). He would not feel so chipper if he
drove the 800 miles from London to Aberdeen. Eight hours of
concentration and a very long lie in the next day.

 >> Even the rural areas close to London are packed with bodies. But on the
 >> other hand. In Scotland, outside of the urban areas. The sheep have
 >> facebook accounts because it is so lonely.
 >
 > I remember both well.

As do the sheep, you. They send their regards.

 >> One of the joys in my life was taking the ferry to work when I lived in
 >> Sydney. I used to walk through the Botanic Gardens to Circular Quay,
 >> have a short black*. Then enjoy the ride.
 >
 > Yeah, we've done the ferry once (with the car), and I really enjoyed it.
 > But when it's busy, I can see it being a pain, too - having to wait 2-3
 > hours for one that's not full seems like it would be no fun.

Can you imagine what it would be like in the winter?
Find somewhere near the bridge.

 > But that typically would only happen when taking the car - walk-on isn't
 > generally that much of a problem, and there is light rail in Seattle, and
 > a fairly decent public transit system.

That would suit me, in the summer. I prefer using public transport, if I
can.

 >> * Strine** for espresso coffee. I thought I had better clarify. You
 >> never can be too careful.
 >
 > True that.

I have no idea what's considered offensive, any more. Except for the
things I consider offensive.

--

Regards
     Stephen