POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hello again : Re: Hello again Server Time
6 Oct 2024 07:36:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hello again
From: clipka
Date: 11 Jul 2015 00:39:45
Message: <55a09e11$1@news.povray.org>
Am 08.07.2015 um 22:00 schrieb Samuel Benge:

> I was hoping that with 64 bit would come a more precise epsilon value, but it
> didn't turn out that way :( Was it a misunderstanding on my part, or to keep
> POV-Ray rendering the same on different architectures, I wonder?

That's obviously a misunderstanding on your part: "64 bit" isn't about
floating point values at all. It's /only/ about pointers: The 32-bit
version of POV-Ray is limited to 3 GB of memory (theoretically 4 GB, but
the operating system typically reserves 1 GB); with the 64-bit version,
your system's physical memory is the limit (POV-Ray's performance on
virtual memory is typically poor at best).

Floating-point values have always been 64 bit in POV-Ray.