POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hello again : Re: Hello again Server Time
19 Jul 2024 23:25:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hello again
From: scott
Date: 9 Jul 2015 03:03:33
Message: <559e1cc5$1@news.povray.org>
>> I'm also not sure if such a scheme would actually make much improvement
>> on a GPU.
>
> Maybe voronoi diagrams aren't needed. Perhaps a simple 'buckets' system would
> suffice, where space is divided into cubic cells, with each cell containing just
> a few objects. Of course, any object overlapping cell boundaries will have to be
> held in more than one bucket...

I think the tricky part would be deciding which cells an object goes
into, without either limiting yourself to very simple objects or having
to manually figure it out.

But assuming you can get around that problem, then yes either into cubic
cells, or I was initially thinking of non-uniform "groups" that could
just have bounding spheres. With either method you could go down an
arbitrary depth depending of cells-within-cells on scene complexity.