POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 7/4 : Re: 7/4 Server Time
6 Oct 2024 07:47:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 7/4
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 7 Jul 2015 23:56:50
Message: <559c9f82$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/6/2015 11:22 PM, Stephen wrote:
>> One of the myriad of things outside any area of study I had in school
>> that I've picked up over the years. :)
>>
> Mostly school boards are well minded. But there are more things in
> Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in their philosophies.

Well minded? Elected, not required to have teaching credentials, picked
based on local ideology and politics, often, in recent years, also
heavily dependent on the theory that schools are like factories, or
other sorts of business, rather than a service (not that being a service
would save them from having corners cut, and shoddy product exchanged in
favor of what is best for the customer). So.. you have people with no
skill, no knowledge, possibly/probably ideologically driven, and, if you
are lucky, the combination will be something other than, "religious,
ignorant, science denying, micromanaging, plutocrats, who think that the
schools, like health care, the EPA, social security, and anything else
'public' is a waste of money", and that, "Private institutions would
automatically do better."

Yeah.. I am a real believer in the idea that the "school boards" are the
ones who are "well minded" in this equation...

As to the bad name for home schooling.. To argue that its a legitimate
solution is a bit like arguing, from the privileged status of someone
living in Florida, that one shouldn't bother buying a coat in Alaska.
Its only a valid solution for the small percentage of people who have
the time, the resources, or the skill, necessary to do it correctly. If
any one of these is lacking, its a failure. And, the most dangerous one
to be "missing" is "resources", because if one does not know enough,
themselves, to a) find, b) vet, and c) acquire said resources, those
available, and most directly accessible, via "home schooling" sources
are nearly universally from the "Christian Fundamentalist" category, or
equally questionable sources, filled with misinformation, and delusional
nonsense.

I would "love" to be able to say that home schooling was a viable option
for anyone except those with the rare combination of traits to both
provide it, and do so without being duped by those peddling bad
information. But, since there is no official, well controlled, reliable,
and recognized "source" for materials, nor is it even possible for
everyone that might benefit from it to receive such education, the net
result is that **most** of those receiving such are doing so with
invalid materials, chosen by those who either do not know they are
useless, or, worse, chose it intentionally, because they believe it to
be accurate. I.e., one the whole, it has the reputation it does for
entirely good reasons, regardless of the much rarer exceptions.

--
Commander Vimes: "You take a bunch of people who don't seem any
different from you and me, but when you add them all together you get