POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 7/4 : Re: 7/4 Server Time
6 Oct 2024 07:48:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 7/4
From: Stephen
Date: 6 Jul 2015 13:35:11
Message: <559abc4f@news.povray.org>
On 7/5/2015 11:05 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Jul 2015 22:23:00 +0100, Stephen wrote:
>

>> They certainly do. From what I've read. There is no requirement for the
>> children to be assessed, by many states. That is dereliction of duty, in
>> my book.
>
> I agree. There is a huge push against assessing children in the US in
> general, not just in the case of homeschooling, either.  You want some
> entertaining reading, read up on the pushback against "Common Core"
> standards.

My wife thanks you. That will keep her occupied for hours. I thank you. :-)

> For me, the issue is more involved than that.  I think children should
> have the right to be free from religious indoctrination

100% with you on that.

  - if they choose
> a religion after weighing evidence, fine (assuming they're old enough to
> be capable of making that decision).  The social pressure is incredible,
> though, to conform by being religious

I remember it when I was a child. That has gone now in the UK. :-)
When I was in Nigeria. I got e-mails telling me that I was going to
Hell. Because I was not a believer. I was glad to not be part of her
community.

- but of course, you have to have
> the *right* religious beliefs, too.

Yes. There was a little bit of that. Where I grew up.

I've not heard that phrase. It could be describing me. :-)

--

Regards
     Stephen