POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I give up rendering, part 2 : Re: I give up rendering, part 2 Server Time
8 Jul 2024 08:11:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I give up rendering, part 2
From: clipka
Date: 6 Jul 2015 10:34:03
Message: <559a91db$1@news.povray.org>
Am 06.07.2015 um 09:16 schrieb Orchid Win7 v1:
> On 05/07/2015 07:19 PM, jhu wrote:
>> In fact, I give up going outside too. From Unreal Engine 4...
>
> Now, see, the beach shots are impressive. But the trees still don't
> quite look right. You can just make out the polygon edges on their
> trunks, and the snow doesn't quite look right in a way I can't quite put
> my finger on...

*BLAM!*
You've just been killed by a sniper because you've been standing there
examining the details of the environment for an hour or so :P

> Also, lining up a shot so it looks amazing from one angle is one thing.
> Making a game with playable FPS rates that looks reasonable from all
> angles is much harder. ;-)

Possibly not as hard as you might imagine anymore, thanks to Physically
Based Rendering.

(As for the snow, it's a very subsurface-heavy material, probably even
significantly anisotropic, and proper simulation of SSLT is still
anything but trivial. It's also one of the few cases where a strictly
physical approach gives you a particularly hard-to-handle
parameterization. Anyone who has ever toyed around with POV-Ray's first
incarnation of SSLT, back in the 3.7 beta times, might know what I'm
talking about.)