POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 7/4 : Re: 7/4 Server Time
6 Oct 2024 09:23:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 7/4
From: Stephen
Date: 5 Jul 2015 17:23:02
Message: <5599a036@news.povray.org>
On 7/5/2015 9:35 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Jul 2015 09:29:59 +0100, Stephen wrote:
>
>> You should get rid of home schooling. That is a bad thing IMO.
>> Discuss. ;-)
>
> We home schooled our son for the last 5 years or so of his school career.
>
> So, no, I disagree. :)
>
> He passed his GED with top marks, went to uni, was on the deans' list
> most of the time he was there, and graduated with honours - from the
> University of Utah with a degree in Anthropology.
>
> The Christian fundamentalists who homeschool give homeschooling a bad rap
> in the US.

They certainly do. From what I've read. There is no requirement for the
children to be assessed, by many states. That is dereliction of duty, in
my book.

> There are people who do it properly - and in our case,

I won't ask who rattled your cage. Me obviously. :-)

And just as obviously there need to be exceptions depending on
circumstances. After all, there are some remote isolated communities in
all of that land. But Weirdos and religious throwbacks should not have
the right to brainwash more generations of children. And that goes for
Europe and the UK too.

the
> reason we did it was because we ultimately had little choice but to step
> up and home school him.

It sounds like you made the right choice. It is not something I would
like to take the responsibility for. Too much like hard work. :-)

--

Regards
     Stephen