POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physically based rendering : Re: Physically based rendering Server Time
6 Oct 2024 08:23:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physically based rendering
From: clipka
Date: 26 Jun 2015 11:27:10
Message: <558d6f4e$1@news.povray.org>
Am 26.06.2015 um 16:52 schrieb Thomas de Groot:
> On 26-6-2015 14:55, clipka wrote:
>>>>

>>> Depending on the scene, the multiplicator used can be less than that. In
>>> my experiments shown in p.b.i I used a multiplicator of 2 which works
>>> quite well. Much higher values overexpose the scene.
>>
>> Maybe there's a misundertanding here:
>>
>> The multiplicator is needed on the looks_like object; the light_source
>> brightness should stay the same if you don't use fade_power.
>>

> True enough. THere was a misunderstanding though from my side (of
> course) as I had also added an emission to the looks_like object which
> it doesn't need in fact with And's suggestion.

Um... a looks_like object should _always_ have a emission! Otherwise it
won't look like what a light source would look like.

However, And has correctly hinted someplace else at conflict between
different ways of simulating the same thing when using a "looks_like"
object. A light source should only show up in one of the two ways of
each of the following pairs:

- Classic diffuse illumination vs. radiosity: A "looks_like" object
should always have "no_radiosity on" set, which unfortunately isn't the
default. (Theoretically, an alternative would be to make the light
source invisible for the sake of the "diffuse" component, but in
practice that doesn't make any sense due to the vast differences in
computational effort; if you want to go that far, just leave out the
light source entirely and go with the "looks_like" object alone.)

- Specular highlights vs. reflections: A "looks_like" object should have
"no_reflection on" set. An alternative would be to make the light source
invisible for the sake of specular highlights, but POV-Ray doesn't
support this at the moment (which puts me to shame, as I must admit).