POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : RSoCP by UberPOV : Re: RSoCP by UberPOV Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:19:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RSoCP by UberPOV
From: clipka
Date: 25 Jun 2015 16:50:44
Message: <558c69a4$1@news.povray.org>
Am 25.06.2015 um 16:44 schrieb Thomas de Groot:
> Following the discussion in povray.off-topic on Physically Based
> Rendering (PBR)
> http://news.povray.org/povray.off-topic/thread/%3Cop.x0kk32qvufxv4h%40xena%3E/
>

> and the /rules/ given by Clipka, this is an RSoCP following the said
> rules and rendered with UberPOV.
>
> Scene file can be found in povray.binaries.scene-files.

Um... you're /not/ following the rules /at all/:

	sphere {
	  <0,0,0>, 1.00
	  texture {
	    pigment {srgb <0.8, 0.7, 0.7>*0.5 }
	    finish {
	      diffuse albedo 0.8
	      brilliance 3, 3
	      reflection {
	        0.0, 1.0
	        //roughness 0.001
	        //fresnel on
	        //metallic on
	      }
	      fresnel on
	      metallic on
	    }
	  }
	  interior { ior 1.5 }

	  scale <1,1,1>  rotate <0,0,0>  translate <0,1.35,0>
	}

You're using "metallic on" in the entire finish block, but not in the
reflection block. That's bad bractice. /Very/ bad practice.

Also, "fresnel on" has no effect (or at least shouldn't have) when used
together with "metallic on". And as I'm already at it, always use
"fresnel on" in the reflection block when you use it in the entire
finish block. It doesn't carry through to the reflection automatically.

Furthermore, I'll probably need to add more rules:

- Do not use "diffuse" for metallic materials (or, more specifically,
use "diffuse 0.0" to override the non-zero default). Use specular
reflection with a very high roughness instead. To also add crisper
highlights to the mix, use complex textures.