POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : "Fade away" overlay for existing objects : Re: "Fade away" overlay for existing objects Server Time
3 May 2024 02:12:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Fade away" overlay for existing objects
From: Alain
Date: 23 Jun 2015 17:05:40
Message: <5589ca24@news.povray.org>

> In the meantime i stumbled upon the fog feature. It does exactly what I want
> except that I can only define a plane but not really another geometry:
>
>   fog{ fog_type 2
>        distance  3
>        color     White
>        fog_offset -5.5
>        fog_alt    2.0
>        turbulence 1.8
>        up <-0.5,1,0>
>      }
>
> This would be great if I could somehow define a center point where the fog
> then starts expanding like a sphere, obscuring everything.

If you want sometning circular, the disk may be what you need:
disk{<0,0,0>, <0,0,-1>, 1 pigment{spherical colour_map{[0 rgb
background_colour][clock background_colour filter 1] } scale Some_Scale
translate Somewhere hollow}
If your scene use any media or fog, the hollow is needed it you want the
media or fog to act predictably. A disk have an interior that is the
same as that of a plane and it's not limited to the visible part.
You may also use a plane similarly.

This, in an animation, will start with a totaly transparent disk that
will become increasingly opaque in a circular gradient. The center will
stay transparent. Using the background's colour and manipulating the
filter component ensure that the mix will be concistent.

Another way would be with some media. The density of a media can be
exactly controled by a pigment of any function. The spherical pattern
start with a value of zero at the origin and drop to zero at a radius of
1. This can be changed by using a colour_map and an alternate wave type
for the way it changes, and by scaling to adjust it to your needs.

Alain