POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physically based rendering : Re: Physically based rendering Server Time
6 Oct 2024 07:06:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physically based rendering
From: clipka
Date: 23 Jun 2015 13:23:02
Message: <558995f6@news.povray.org>
Am 23.06.2015 um 09:28 schrieb Thomas de Groot:
> On 22-6-2015 18:07, clipka wrote:
>> POV-Ray has been heavily geared towards PBR in recent times, and UberPOV
>> should by now be a viable PBR tool, provided you stick to the following
>> rules:
>
> Now, that is a comprehensive tutorial about do's and dont's. Thanks
> indeed Christoph.

Forgot two things:

- Always use "fresnel on" for the entire finish block (you'll need a
POV-Ray 3.7.1-alpha build for this, or UberPOV; don't forget to specify
"ior"), even if you're not using "specular", unless you are using
subsurface scattering.

- When using "brilliance", always use "brilliance FLOAT, FLOAT" with
both parameters set to the same value, and specify "brilliance on" in
the radiosity block. (You'll need a POV-Ray 3.7.1-alpha build for these,
or UberPOV.)

Also, my mind played a trick on me regarding the use of "fresnel on" in
the entire finish block: While I thought I had implemented it in
UberPOV, I actually put it right into official POV-Ray; thus, a
sufficiently up-to-date POV-Ray build (3.7.1-alpha.*) will do just as
well for this.

> No more sad examples of reflective spheres on chequered planes :-)

It's impressive what a difference it can make to really press for PBR,
even for something so seemingly trivial as RSoCP; I think especially
using a fully fresnel-aware model (using "fresnel on" in the entire
finish block) and blurred reflections (with specular highlights properly
tuned to match) really adds a level of credibility that you might not
even have expected to be there.