POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : POV-ray with Adobe After Effects : Re: POV-ray with Adobe After Effects Server Time
2 May 2024 09:54:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-ray with Adobe After Effects
From: scott
Date: 1 Jun 2015 04:06:25
Message: <556c1281$1@news.povray.org>
> The solutions I'm pursuing is this: use a macro to convert the spheres and
> cylinders in my scenes to meshes.  Then, there's a program called Poseray with
> will read my .pov files and convert them to objs.  But the .pov scenes have to
> be built from mesh objects.

The obj file format is very simple, if your spheres are cylinders are
simple (ie there is no complex POV code/macro to generate the alignment)
then it would almost be better to just write the obj file directly
rather than creating the mesh in POV and the using Poseray.

> Where I'm stuck now is converting my scenes to meshes.  Could you recommend a
> macro to convert spheres and cylinders to meshes?

Others can help here, I usually "roll my own" for these type of things.
It depends how much experience you have of 3D graphics, coding, etc, but
it's not a huge task.

Another angle to attack from might be to use something like OpenSCAD.
You can create spheres and cylinders with a similar syntax to POV, but
in the end it will let you export the scene as a mesh (STL file in this
case). Depending on how complex your POV scene is, it might just be an
exerice with find/replace in notepad to get the scene to work in
OpenSCAD and export a mesh.

Or does After Effects have an in-built scripting language you could use
to generate the spheres and cylinders? Ditto above, you might be able to
just use notepad to get the syntax correct for After Effects to use.

Do you also want different materials (colours) to be applied to each object?