POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Good News Of The Day : Re: Good News Of The Day Server Time
8 Jul 2024 09:25:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Good News Of The Day
From: clipka
Date: 12 May 2015 07:48:04
Message: <5551e874$1@news.povray.org>
Am 12.05.2015 um 12:43 schrieb Stephen:

>> Blink at them. Give them Jackson Galaxy's "slow blink" to tell them that
>> you mean no harm.
> I know that Clipka although I do not agree that it means I love you. I
> think that it means that I trust you (enough not to look at you all the
> time).

No, it does go a good beyond that. Blink at a cat long enough, and from
my experience it /will/ ultimately respond with some sign of trust
(which may or may not involve blinking back at you)... or walk away.

Among cats, the slow blink is actually a /three-fold/ signal:

   (1) I don't feel the urge to be ready to defend against you.
   (2) I don't feel the urge to be ready to attack you.
   (3) I do feel the desire to keep contact with you.

In other words:

   (1) I trust you to some degree.
   (2) I tolerate your presence.
   (3) I am interested in you.

Or, to summarize it:

    => Let's be friends!

(1) and (2) are indicated by the absence of a stare, but to communicate
those two messages alone a cat would normally just look away. In
contrast, the added message (3) is communicated by keeping the head
oriented towards the addressee, and even intermittently looking at them.

Sure, calling this "the cat 'I love you'" is an exaggeration of the
message, but I think it makes for a suitable moniker.

> I even tried that wide mouthed high pitched meow that means "I am
> here".

Did you try the "Hello again!" coo?

> I even offered my shoulder for it to sit on but all I got was
> that "you must be joking" stare.

I'd give you that stare, too ;)

How about treats (give them a trail of treats leading towards you), or a
cat teaser to distract them from your presence and engage them in some
fun play?

> The last resort will be to cover my
> face and cry.

Or that. But I doubt that will help ;)