POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Life saving criteria : Re: Life saving criteria Server Time
8 Jul 2024 09:56:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Life saving criteria
From: clipka
Date: 12 May 2015 06:51:03
Message: <5551db17@news.povray.org>
Am 12.05.2015 um 09:24 schrieb scott:

> That then got me thinking, real rescue teams surely have a set criteria
> and process they use to make decisions like this? They can't afford to
> waste time discussing in a hectic manner who to save first. Google
> didn't show up anything, maybe I don't know the correct words or phrases
> to use.
>
> Any ideas or comments? What criteria would you use to decide?

I guess most people would go for the stereotypical "women and children
first" approach.

Professional rescue teams, however, will probably take an entirely
different approach:

- If there is reasonable danger of structural collapse during the rescue
operation, or any other danger to the rescue team, nobody will go in at
all. Self-protection is paramount.

- If there is some other reasonable danger that affects rescuees but not
the rescue team (such as smoke, presuming the rescue team is wearing
breathing aids), it is probably a matter of getting people out of the
danger zone in the order they are encountered. Any time spent on
assessing the "rescue-worthiness" of people would be time wasted, and
would also put the rescue team under enormous mental pressure. People
who cannot be extracted immediately for technical reasons, such as
people trapped under heavy loads, are an exception. My guess would be
that an initial attempt will be made to get them out, but if that fails
rescue workers will call in technical help, while proceed to extract
other people until that help arrives. The medical condition of the
rescuees is irrelevant: Even if there is a high risk to further injure a
person, they will be extracted from the danger zone.

- If people are in a sufficiently safe environment, but there is not
enough qualified medical personnel to take care of all of them at once,
there will be a team of paramedics responsible to assess the casualties'
injuries to prioritize them. AFAIK people with the most severe injuries
will have top priority, even if chances of survival are slim (*). In the
meantime, paramedics will try to stabilize the most severely injured
patients that medics cannot yet tend to, while unqualified volunteers
will be assigned to tend to minor injuries, reassure more severely
injured but stable people that they will receive the neccessary
treatment in due time, or just make sure that people in a state of shock
don't panic and run away.

(* I guess this might be different in a military environment, where
death is necessarily a calculated risk.)