POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Life saving criteria : Re: Life saving criteria Server Time
8 Jul 2024 09:49:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Life saving criteria
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 12 May 2015 03:59:56
Message: <5551b2fc$1@news.povray.org>
Le 12/05/2015 09:24, scott a écrit :
> As part of our student recruitment process we usually give them a short
> group task to do first, just to break the ice and for us to observe
> their personalities.
>
> Anyway, part of the one they were given yesterday was to decide which
> order to rescue people trapped in a mine. Due to the logistics of the
> rescue it was very likely they would not be able to get them all out
> before they drowned.
>
> They were given a paragraph about each person trapped: their age, sex,
> name, whether they had any children, what their job was, any other
> hobbies/community activities, heath problems etc.
>
> That then got me thinking, real rescue teams surely have a set criteria
> and process they use to make decisions like this? They can't afford to
> waste time discussing in a hectic manner who to save first. Google
> didn't show up anything, maybe I don't know the correct words or phrases
> to use.
>
> Any ideas or comments? What criteria would you use to decide?

You have the same issue at hospital for emergency and epidemia, or
accident: there is one in charge of sorting/classifying the injured.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triage

It seems it mostly resolve to four colours: black, red, yellow, green.

The data that are not medical are irrelevant to the situation.
And even long term medical data is irrelevant (bipolar, daltonism,
sterile, ... )

Now if your problem resolves to "which ones are to be selected to die
?", that's a psychological trap.

--
Just because nobody complains does not mean all parachutes are perfect.