POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : can't i rotate a pigment? : Re: can't i rotate a pigment? Server Time
14 May 2024 04:26:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: can't i rotate a pigment?
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 9 May 2015 03:29:32
Message: <554db75c$1@news.povray.org>
In summary, after a night pondering the issue, the slope pattern is
applied at world-axis level, regardless of any transformation at
local-axis level of the object. This makes slope different from the
other patterns. This is consistent with the Docs.

To reduce confusion like we have experienced now, I think that the Docs
should be adapted accordingly with an additional entry under *Note*,
explaining why basic transformations of the pattern or the object do not
work as expected.

As a solution to the initial question, I see two possibilities:

- Baking the texture using the mesh camera. See for an excellent
explanation: http://www.ignorancia.org/en/index.php?page=mesh-camera

Using a proximity pattern technique as was developed e.g. by Sam Benge
or Edouard Poor. This is not exactly the same as a slope pattern but can
come close. Personally, I prefer, and use, Edouard Poor's method. I do
not have the exact location at hand but look for the code in
povray.binaries.scene-files, under author Edouard, date 10-9-2009.

--
Thomas