POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : can't i rotate a pigment? : Re: can't i rotate a pigment? Server Time
14 May 2024 17:07:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: can't i rotate a pigment?
From: Stephen
Date: 8 May 2015 04:41:05
Message: <554c76a1$1@news.povray.org>
On 08/05/2015 08:54, Thomas de Groot wrote:

> After testing, I can confirm that it is not possible to rotate a slope
> pattern, in contrast to other patterns. Even more puzzling, I can
> confirm that this is true too when applying the pigment and then
> rotating the object: the pigment remains unchanged and does not rotate
> with the object.
>
> I do not know if this is a bug or is intentional. If the latest case,
> the documentation does not mention it while at the same time indicating
> the use of Pigment Modifiers in the example.
>
> I believe we need the voice of an expert now.

And I thought that you were the expert. ;-)

My understanding of the slope pattern is that the colour (value) is
dependant on the normal of the point on the object being tested and the
direction vector. So the pigment is tied to the object's shape. To
rotate the patern, rotate the direction vector.

> The slope value at a given point is dependent on the angle between the <Direction>
vector and the normal of the surface at that point. For example:
> - When the surface normal points in the opposite direction of the <Direction> vector
(180 degrees), the slope is 0.0.
> - When the surface normal is perpendicular to the <Direction> vector (90 degrees),
the slope is 0.5.
> - When the surface normal is parallel to the <Direction> vector (0 degrees), the
slope is 1.0.

--

Regards
     Stephen