POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Blender3D now on Steam : Re: Blender3D now on Steam Server Time
6 Oct 2024 08:25:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blender3D now on Steam
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 27 Apr 2015 16:20:23
Message: <553e9a07$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 18:04:26 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

> On 27/04/2015 05:37 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 08:37:54 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>>> Really? How do you know that?
>>
>> I start from the assumption that when you make a statement like that,
>> it's pretty much the opposite of reality unless you've provided some
>> supporting information that makes logical sense.
>
> Oh, right. I thought maybe you had some actual experience in this area.

When it comes down to it, using Google to find the answer is something I
have experience with.

>>> I would have expected they just charge the maximum amount possible.
>>
>> ....Aaaaand yep.  Total lack of understanding when it comes to pricing
>> products has been demonstrated.
>
> What, charge the customer the maximum amount of money they will pay?
> Isn't that how business operates?

And what makes you think that value is "millions of dollars"? On what
planet does that make any business sense at all?

It's like explaining picking an hourly rate to someone who charges too
little for their work.  If you charge $10/hour for your work, it takes
you 40 hours to make $400.  If you charge $25/hour for your work, in 20
hours you make more than double that.

So no, in business, you don't charge "the maximum amount of money a
customer will pay" - you determine the point where the *most* customers
will pay that generates you a good profit.

If your market share is *1*, you might charge $1 million, but you
probably won't get anyone to pay it.

But as it happens, CryEngine 3 doesn't have a royalty.  Start using
Google to do some research before making crazy statements - you only
damage your own reputation by making such ridiculous statements.

You're a smart guy.  Use your brain.

Jim