POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Blender3D now on Steam : Re: Blender3D now on Steam Server Time
6 Oct 2024 08:24:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blender3D now on Steam
From: Stephen
Date: 27 Apr 2015 13:22:41
Message: <553e7061$1@news.povray.org>
On 27/04/2015 17:35, Jim Henderson wrote:

> But that misses my point - keeping software up to date - especially when
> it comes to MMO-style games - is really important.

I am an egg.

 > I've been playing
> Destiny lately on my PS3, and it has an auto-update function built in
> that just works (never had a problem with it).  But if the game isn't
> updated and I connect to servers that have been, then that can create
> problems - the entire "system" has to be updated, which includes all the
> clients.
>
> That's part of Steam's purpose, when it comes to games.

That fits in with my limited experience.

> Don't want to use Steam to get Blender?  Cool, don't.  But for those who
> use Steam (esp. on Linux, like me) to run Blender and other stuff,
> finding the latest official package and updating it is a royal PITA (it's
> not part of the standard repos, and not maintained officially as part of
> the non-standard repos,so updates come when they come).  Steam keeps it
> up to date for me.

I live and learn. Sometimes I die and learn

> Which is nice.  Since it's related to POV-Ray in a tangential fashion, I
> thought others here may not have seen the announcement, so I passed it
> along as a matter of interest for those who might be interested.

Okay, not joking now. Thank you on behalf...

My point which I did not make is that constant updates can be a Pita.
Every time I've updated Blender I have to go and change my preferences
to what I've had before. I know, I know... But I'm lazy.
I depend on the basic functionality although I appreciate all the work
the community does. Although I sometimes get the impression that if you
are not using the latest wizz bang version you are looked down on.
Kids. ;-)

Same with PovRay. I have Ver 3.5 for Moray, 3.6 for Bishop3D and 3.7 for
speed.

> For those who aren't - move along, nothing to see here.:)

Except skid marks.

Sorry if it seemed that I jumped on you. Not intended. Too much respect.
As my old dead grannie used to say.
"Your tongue will get you hung."

--

Regards