POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Blender3D now on Steam : Re: Blender3D now on Steam Server Time
6 Oct 2024 08:23:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blender3D now on Steam
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 27 Apr 2015 12:35:40
Message: <553e655c$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 21:29:44 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 26/04/2015 20:54, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Try being responsible for thousands of desktops in a corporate
>> environment.
>
> I knew that you would say that. :-)

Of course you did. :)

> Is Stream used by corporates?

Of course not, unless playing games (the primary purpose for Steam's
existence) is part of the job description.

But that misses my point - keeping software up to date - especially when
it comes to MMO-style games - is really important.  I've been playing
Destiny lately on my PS3, and it has an auto-update function built in
that just works (never had a problem with it).  But if the game isn't
updated and I connect to servers that have been, then that can create
problems - the entire "system" has to be updated, which includes all the
clients.

That's part of Steam's purpose, when it comes to games.

Don't want to use Steam to get Blender?  Cool, don't.  But for those who
use Steam (esp. on Linux, like me) to run Blender and other stuff,
finding the latest official package and updating it is a royal PITA (it's
not part of the standard repos, and not maintained officially as part of
the non-standard repos,so updates come when they come).  Steam keeps it
up to date for me.

Which is nice.  Since it's related to POV-Ray in a tangential fashion, I
thought others here may not have seen the announcement, so I passed it
along as a matter of interest for those who might be interested.

For those who aren't - move along, nothing to see here. :)

Jim