POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Not Islay : Re: Not Islay - WIP 4 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:21:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not Islay - WIP 4
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 25 Apr 2015 08:05:35
Message: <553b830f@news.povray.org>
On 25-4-2015 13:40, Stephen wrote:
> On 25/04/2015 12:08, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>

>> Typical! I mean /by/ Rosa Bonheur ;-)
>>

>>> 19th century ray-tracing! - Camera obscura?
>>
>> That and the genre painting, like Ilya Repin for instance.
>>

> He is new to me. Thanks.
> A quick google and I like his impressionist style. Subtly different from
> the western style. The painting with serfs bring an image of Modest
> Mussorgsky's Khovanshchina (opera) to my mind.

Oh yes, absolutely. Look at "The barge haulers on the Volga" and you
will hear the song:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Song_of_the_Volga_Boatmen

I learned it from a recording by the Soviet Army Choir, back in the
sixties :-)

     Эй, ухнем!
     Эй, ухнем!
     Ещё разик, ещё да раз!

> You could almost describe their work as "chocolate box" but it isn't.

It isn't indeed. There is that subtle difference that separates art from
kitsch.

--
Thomas