POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Not Islay : Re: Not Islay - WIP 2 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:25:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not Islay - WIP 2
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 16 Apr 2015 00:22:43
Message: <552f3913$1@news.povray.org>
On 04/14/2015 10:49 AM, clipka wrote:
> Am 14.04.2015 um 12:59 schrieb Doctor John:
>
>> I seem to remember someone having a similar problem with the white spots
>> a few years ago, possibly on this very ng. I'll search my archives to
>> see if I can find the relevant thread.
>
> I recall one guy who had stray white dot artifacts all over his scenes;
> in the end it turned out that his AMD processor had suffered permanent
> damage from overheating. (Some time later, the very same guy complained
> about the very same type of artifacts again; it turned out that he had
> fried yet another CPU.)

It was Jaime.

Now that I think of it, a couple of years ago when I was shopping for a
new computer, someone (not a POVer) warned me against AMDs, saying that
(among other things) they produce more waste heat than Intel CPUs.
However, at the time Jaime was having his problems, I don't know whether
Intel was any better.