POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : VR : Re: VR Server Time
6 Oct 2024 08:26:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: VR
From: Stephen
Date: 12 Apr 2015 03:01:20
Message: <552a1840$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/04/2015 07:16, Nekar Xenos wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 19:51:59 +0200, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>
>> Nekar Xenos <nek### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

>>> I'm a bit scared of what the price could be for something like this
>>> though. And I do hope they have a good cooling system.

LOL It gives new meaning to my home town's saying.
"Go away and boil your head."

>> I'm not interested in using a VR headset as a toy, nor am I interested
>> in using it for modeling. I'm interested in using it for playing video
>> games. So I'm worried about whether they are spending way too much
>> effort on the former and too little on the latter.

I would say that it is a strategy. Marketing it for a niche group would
not raise much finance.

>> The major reason I'm worried is price: If too much work is put into
>> the project, it will drive the price up.
>>

> It seems to combine some AR-type features, I was wondering if it would
> be possible to make a Doom 3 type game with your surroundings re-skinned
> in a Doom theme.

Someone will be working on that. I can imagine.
I saw a (mock up of a?) system that projected objects into your
surroundings on the BBC Tech pages.
I can't find the clip but I think that it was in the last six months.

--

Regards
     Stephen