POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : VR : Re: VR Server Time
6 Oct 2024 08:24:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: VR
From: Warp
Date: 11 Apr 2015 13:51:59
Message: <55295f3f@news.povray.org>
Nekar Xenos <nek### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> I recently heard about Steam's new VR headset, the HTC Vive and it was
> sounding like it may be better than the Occulus Rift
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leg2gS6ShZw

> And then I came accross this:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qym11JnFQBM
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6sL_5Wgvrg

> The way she was modifying the fuel tank on the bike is the way I would
> love to do 3d modeling. The possibilities seem endless.

> I'm a bit scared of what the price could be for something like this
> though. And I do hope they have a good cooling system.

What I fear is that they are focusing too much on niche features
and too little on the mainstream features (ie. video games).

We got a bit of a taste what happens when they do that, with the
pre-hype of the Xbox One. Microsoft focused too much on something
people were not interested in (ie. the console being a multimedia
enhancer) and too little on the things that people are interested
in (ie. video games). Microsoft missed the ball quite completely
there.

I'm not interested in using a VR headset as a toy, nor am I interested
in using it for modeling. I'm interested in using it for playing video
games. So I'm worried about whether they are spending way too much
effort on the former and too little on the latter.

The major reason I'm worried is price: If too much work is put into
the project, it will drive the price up.

--
                                                          - Warp