POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Eccentric Brits : Re: Eccentric Brits Server Time
6 Oct 2024 06:39:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Eccentric Brits
From: Stephen
Date: 8 Apr 2015 12:39:29
Message: <552559c1$1@news.povray.org>
On 08/04/2015 17:08, clipka wrote:
> Am 08.04.2015 um 14:00 schrieb Stephen:
>> On 08/04/2015 02:02, clipka wrote:
>

> On an American plane, they'd probably have let him go, and fired him for
> leaving his workplace.

Or breaking the Health and safety rules.

Just remembered a story about that. When I was working offshore on an
American oil rig. A roustabout was walking across the drill deck When a
crane hook slipped its support and fell on his head. (He was okay as
there was an arresting chain which caught it as it hit him.

It wasn't counted as a lost time accident as he should not have been
there during the operation And was retrospective fired before the block
hit him.

>> It was a blessing, in a way.
>
> I guess I just need the comic relief of making some jokes about air
> crashes these days. As you may know, among the GermanWings passengers
> were a bunch of German school children and teachers; it so happens that
> they were from the town I was born in. Not that I have any other
> relation to the victims (I grew up in a different town), but still the
> event seems to have gotten to me more than it would normally have. And
> the fact that I know what it's like to suffer from depression
> (fortunately without any suicidal tendencies) doesn't help either.

I know what you mean. It is over forty years since I left Glasgow. But
when a bin lorry ran into some Christmas shoppers, last year. I felt
more affected than I would have thought.

>>> And of course France is involved in some way, too.)
>>
>> Can't you ever forget the war? :-P
>
> Which of those many? ;)

I would forget all the one back to the Roman Empire. Then you managed to
win a couple of Eagles, beating Scotland 2 - 1.

> Heck, there have been quarrels near the Rhine as early as 2000 years ago
> - the Romans didn't build the Limes for nothing :)

And you are still going on about it. ;-)

> It seems quite a miracle we've been living peacefully alongside our
> western neighbors for about 65 years now and counting.

It is brilliant, isn't it?
And some of our fruit loops want to leave Europe and bring back the Empire.

> Even so, the relationship to France is something special. When we don't
> hate them, we seem to totally love them.

It is a North/South divide in Britain. The Scots like the French.

--

Regards
     Stephen