POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Eccentric Brits : Re: Eccentric Brits Server Time
6 Oct 2024 06:47:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Eccentric Brits
From: Stephen
Date: 8 Apr 2015 08:00:10
Message: <5525184a@news.povray.org>
On 08/04/2015 02:02, clipka wrote:
> Am 07.04.2015 um 22:05 schrieb Stephen:
>> On 07/04/2015 18:07, clipka wrote:
>>> I always knew the Brits were eccentric, so where else could this bizarre
>>> air accident have happened...
>>>
>>> https://youtu.be/OIQQhqpVY80?list=PLRaGrXoicRyQYB4z70WljMLbQ0xUT3ntQ
>>
>> Would you have expected a German aircrew to behave differently?
>
> Absolutely not... or well, maybe? There are differences in mentality
> between people from different nations, and they may result in
> differences in the way people react. That aircrew was a perfect match
> for the accident; don't know if a German crew would have been.

Training, that's what does it.
I would expect any first or second world aircrew to behave similarly.

> Also, don't know if any crew would have been, had it not been due to the fact
> that there happened to be an extra person in the cockpit on that flight.
>
> But I wasn't alluding to competence anyway, but to, well, shall we say,
> karma?
>
> Somehow it seems fitting that such a bizarre thing (including the fact
> that there were no casualties, nor even lasting injuries) should happen
> not to Germans, Americans, Chinese, or whoever, but to Brits.

LOL I know what you mean. "Steady at the wheel, old chap.
It's allowable to let your lower lip tremble a bit and loosen your tie,
three quarters of an inch. Any more emotion than that and we will have
to look into your background*."

> If karma had allowed something like this to happen to a German plane at
> all, it would have required the pilot to go the extra mile out of the
> cockpit and straight into the engine, to cripple the plane for good.
> That would have turned this eccentric Brit-ish incident into a proper
> solid German-ish tragedy.

Tut, tut. You're too harsh in your national stereotyping.
I think that if it had been a proper German plane. The captain would
have been hauled back in tout de suite, to sign the forms for leave of
absence. :-P
If it had been a Scottish plane. The steward would have been handing out
free whisky and selling tickets to tour the cockpit. ;-)

> (You know, like, German planes don't get lost. If we have a suicidal
> pilot in the cockpit, the plane doesn't mysteriously disappear over some
> vast ocean never to be found again; it just slams into the next best
> mountain, with ample evidence available as to what happened.

It was a blessing, in a way.

> And of course France is involved in some way, too.)

Can't you ever forget the war? :-P

* Social class.

--

Regards