POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : HELP: How to replace image? : Re: HELP: How to replace image? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:23:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HELP: How to replace image?
From: Alain
Date: 28 Mar 2015 18:22:40
Message: <551729b0$1@news.povray.org>
Le 15-03-28 15:05, Sven Littkowski a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> currently, I am using large images for my spaceship project as hull
> textures (please see the attached image). But that takes plenty memory
> and increases a lot the rendering time.
>
> If you look to the attached hull texture, is there any way to create
> something like this with a function or formula? Please assists. Thanks.

You may be able to get away by scalling it down by half, maybe more.
Could reduce the file's size by as much as 75%. WILL reduce the memory
use by 75%.
Reduce the colour depth : Save as a 256 colours image (8 bit / pixel)
instead of true colour (24 bit / pixel). The image use only 72 distinct
shades of gray. This may reduce the file's size by about a third. WILL
reduce the memory use by 2/3.

Use the highest compression available so that the file is as small as
possible. Loading the file take much more time than uncompressing it.

Attached at 10% of the original size and 256 colours.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'seneca ii - hull plating - reduced.png' (30 KB)

Preview of image 'seneca ii - hull plating - reduced.png'
seneca ii - hull plating - reduced.png