POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Pi Day of the century : Re: Pi Day of the century Server Time
6 Oct 2024 07:18:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pi Day of the century
From: Stephen
Date: 28 Mar 2015 05:23:16
Message: <55167304$1@news.povray.org>
On 27/03/2015 21:52, Andrel wrote:

> Hi Guys, been busy lately, so not always time to check p.o-t

That's good.

> The story about this as I remember it is that most of GB used to say 4
> and fifty (and some still do) but that some king or queen decided that
> fifty four better fitted what was written.
> And that we write 54 because four and fifty was exactly what the arabs
> were saying too, and they write right to left.

The King bit does not seem right to me. So I went looking. This is the
only thing I could find.
You might find it interesting. On the other hand you might find it
patronising and with the odd racist comment.

http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/lexicon_valley/2014/11/lexicon_valley_the_history_and_evolution_of_writing_out_numbers_in_the_english.html

--

Regards
     Stephen