POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Pi Day of the century : Re: Pi Day of the century Server Time
6 Oct 2024 07:20:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pi Day of the century
From: Andrel
Date: 27 Mar 2015 17:52:13
Message: <5515d10d$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/16/2015 02:27 PM, Francois Labreque wrote:
> Le 2015-03-15 01:21, clipka a écrit :
>> Am 15.03.2015 um 03:14 schrieb Cousin Ricky:
>>> At just the right time, we Americans could catch ten digits today.  The
>>> rest of the world will have to wait for the crude approximation in July.
>>>   :-P
>>
>> Uh, yeah... because when it comes to date formats, the Gregorian date in
>> American notation is the pinnacle of mathematical thinking... >_<
>>
>> To get it right, wait for 2031-06-01, 19:30:59.236077... (if I got the
>> math right)
>>
> Says the guy who's native language describes 154 as "one hundred, 4 and
> fifty."  ;-)

Hi Guys, been busy lately, so not always time to check p.o-t

The story about this as I remember it is that most of GB used to say 4
and fifty (and some still do) but that some king or queen decided that
fifty four better fitted what was written.
And that we write 54 because four and fifty was exactly what the arabs
were saying too, and they write right to left.